This reminds me of the Bethesda trick they did for, I believe Oblivion, was every time we saw a loading screen it was restarting the system without letting us now. *
I'm positive I got at least part of that wrong, but I've been up for 48 hours or so, so be gentle. 😁
@wsjudd VR has the problem that nobody seems to be willing to take a loss on the hardware (unless you give Meta your soul and firstborn) to actually GROW and disrupt the market leaders. Same thing with handheld PC. Even without the AI crap they were trending expensive.
Unless a company with a lot of Money does that, VR (and handheld PC gaming), is a lost cause as anything other than a niche market. If Valve isn't going to do it, absolutely nobody else is going to.
@JJtheTexan I swear to God I must get lucky with Windows. I've never had an issue with Win 11 has done what I wanted it to do and I haven't had any crashed that were not caused by Nvidias crap drivers this last 18months or so. Same thing with Windows Vista and Windows 8 for me. I just never had issues with them.
Now I'm aware there were performance losses in gaming at first (for all of the OS I just listed now that I think about it lol) buuuuuuut unless I had an FPS monitor up I couldn't tell while playing.
I really do think the hardcore crowd, myself included not that long ago, put too much weight on benchmark graphs and too little on real world experience
None of that is to say your experience is somehow invalid (or that you are one of the types I was talking about) just my own little anecdotal experience and using it as a reason to chat with strangers on the net lol.
@ghuribun there is and has been since I upgraded not too long after it came out (may have been there since launch but I didn't upgrade at launch so couldn't say for sure), I believe they meant for the new run window
@Ed64 how the heck did you snap the paddles in half? they're metal.
The only problem I had with my series two was the rubber on the right grip started peeling off. Wasn't a huge deal......then my Shepweiler (as my wife insists he is instead of well.....a mutt) got ahold of it and that damn thing would have eaten it if I hand t caught him in time. Too late for the controller though lol
@MartinAshford I think MS could return the favor if they would announce that Helix would have a disc drive as an option. Even if it's just an addon it'd be a clear PR win.
Sony can't back track now, because they didn't just say oh our system won't have a drive, but that they were not even going to make discs.
@themightyant and for all the flakbrhey took, and the solid W they handed to Sony PR. Now Sony (and I assume MS though they still have wiggle room to announce they keep discs possible) is going to have a system that has to always be online soooooo there's that I guess.
@matmartin for me it's going to come down to money and VRAM on my card. I want an OLED panel and 4k OLED is still outside my budget. As for VRAM I'm still running my EVGA FTW 3080, and while EVGA made some of the best cards on the market, nothing they could do about the fact it was only 10GB. Seeing as I am already running in to games that are constrained by that VRAM amount (Indian Jones comes to mind) at 1440p going to 4k just isn't an option.
I did manage to snag a deal from Microcenter to upgrade from my 5600x though. Got a 7800x3d 32GB DDR5, and an X870 board as a bundle and then a 360 Thermalright Mjolnir Vision AIO (with a screen)from Amazon prime day, all combined it was under 700 after tax.
At the very least you should be testing the 9070XT. While not as powerful as the 5090 it is still the best card that AMD has out. And the price for it now is quite good so for a lot of people it would be the wisest choice to go to if they are moving up from say the Nvidia 20xx series or AMD equivalent(stupid AMD naming schemes can't remember what was out when 2080 hit) or even a low end 30xx series card.
Comments 14
Re: How Gears of War: E-Day Solves the Series S Memory Issue by Tapping the SSD
This reminds me of the Bethesda trick they did for, I believe Oblivion, was every time we saw a loading screen it was restarting the system without letting us now. *
Re: Gears of War: E-Day's PC Version Promises New Tech, Huge Scalability and the End of Shader Compilation Stutter
Not too scared to admit that the majority of this article flew wayyyyy over my head.
Re: Review: SteelSeries Aeon Pro: The Infinite Battery Life, Dual-System Xbox and PC Controller Impresses, Despite Its High Price
Why go with an OLED if it is monochrome? Wouldn't an LCD work just as well with a screen size that small while being at least a little cheaper?
Re: Inside Steam Frame: Valve on How They Made It Performant, Why It Costs So Much and What's Next
@wsjudd VR has the problem that nobody seems to be willing to take a loss on the hardware (unless you give Meta your soul and firstborn) to actually GROW and disrupt the market leaders. Same thing with handheld PC. Even without the AI crap they were trending expensive.
Unless a company with a lot of Money does that, VR (and handheld PC gaming), is a lost cause as anything other than a niche market. If Valve isn't going to do it, absolutely nobody else is going to.
Valve talked the talk but didn't walk the walk.
Re: Fan-Made Xbox Disc-to-Digital List Tops 1400 Compatible Games, as Ubisoft Titles Added to the Programme
I've used it. It works flawlessly and takes all of 10aeconds to do. Basically the time it takes for the disc to spin up and be read.
I wish there was a way to get it to work for 260 and OG games too but those games didn't ship with the identifier on the disc.
Re: Windows 26H2 Is Nearly Here: 7 Features Worth Knowing About
@JJtheTexan I swear to God I must get lucky with Windows. I've never had an issue with Win 11 has done what I wanted it to do and I haven't had any crashed that were not caused by Nvidias crap drivers this last 18months or so. Same thing with Windows Vista and Windows 8 for me. I just never had issues with them.
Now I'm aware there were performance losses in gaming at first (for all of the OS I just listed now that I think about it lol) buuuuuuut unless I had an FPS monitor up I couldn't tell while playing.
I really do think the hardcore crowd, myself included not that long ago, put too much weight on benchmark graphs and too little on real world experience
None of that is to say your experience is somehow invalid (or that you are one of the types I was talking about) just my own little anecdotal experience and using it as a reason to chat with strangers on the net lol.
Re: Windows 26H2 Is Nearly Here: 7 Features Worth Knowing About
@ghuribun there is and has been since I upgraded not too long after it came out (may have been there since launch but I didn't upgrade at launch so couldn't say for sure), I believe they meant for the new run window
Re: Xbox Elite Series 3 controller leaks again, this time on Reddit
@Ed64 how the heck did you snap the paddles in half? they're metal.
The only problem I had with my series two was the rubber on the right grip started peeling off. Wasn't a huge deal......then my Shepweiler (as my wife insists he is instead of well.....a mutt) got ahold of it and that damn thing would have eaten it if I hand t caught him in time. Too late for the controller though lol
Re: Report: Microsoft to bring Xbox 360 games to "Xbox PCs", handhelds and Project Helix
@MartinAshford I think MS could return the favor if they would announce that Helix would have a disc drive as an option. Even if it's just an addon it'd be a clear PR win.
Sony can't back track now, because they didn't just say oh our system won't have a drive, but that they were not even going to make discs.
Re: Report: Microsoft to bring Xbox 360 games to "Xbox PCs", handhelds and Project Helix
@StooMonster be a bigger and clearer win if MS came out out and said oh btw, we will have a disc drive in Helix.
Re: Report: Microsoft to bring Xbox 360 games to "Xbox PCs", handhelds and Project Helix
@themightyant and for all the flakbrhey took, and the solid W they handed to Sony PR. Now Sony (and I assume MS though they still have wiggle room to announce they keep discs possible) is going to have a system that has to always be online soooooo there's that I guess.
Re: Steam Hardware Survey: octa-core CPUs become most popular, RAM counts shrink, 1080p on the way out
@matmartin for me it's going to come down to money and VRAM on my card. I want an OLED panel and 4k OLED is still outside my budget. As for VRAM I'm still running my EVGA FTW 3080, and while EVGA made some of the best cards on the market, nothing they could do about the fact it was only 10GB. Seeing as I am already running in to games that are constrained by that VRAM amount (Indian Jones comes to mind) at 1440p going to 4k just isn't an option.
I did manage to snag a deal from Microcenter to upgrade from my 5600x though. Got a 7800x3d 32GB DDR5, and an X870 board as a bundle and then a 360 Thermalright Mjolnir Vision AIO (with a screen)from Amazon prime day, all combined it was under 700 after tax.
Re: Halo: Campaign Evolved Scales Well from PS5 Pro to Xbox Series S Despite Its Full-Throated Unreal Engine 5 Features
@Qozmyk I wouldn't expect the steam Machine to impress in many games as it is. Let alone a AAA UE5 game /shrug.
Re: Forza Horizon 6 PC: Our Optimised Settings for Mainstream, Mid-Range and High-End Systems
At the very least you should be testing the 9070XT. While not as powerful as the 5090 it is still the best card that AMD has out. And the price for it now is quite good so for a lot of people it would be the wisest choice to go to if they are moving up from say the Nvidia 20xx series or AMD equivalent(stupid AMD naming schemes can't remember what was out when 2080 hit) or even a low end 30xx series card.